Unleash your natural expression of leadership.
In this powerful three-month program, you will discover a new capacity to lead—both others and yourself—in work and in life.
Is this program for you?
Do you have audacious ambitions? Are you up to accomplishing something extraordinary? Do you need to take your leadership to a new level in order to make it all happen? Do you want to lead naturally, effortlessly, effectively? Being a Leader & The Effective Exercise of Leadership is for you.
It’s truly unique.
This program employs a new science of leadership that gives you access to transforming who you are being as a leader. Rather than giving you “answers,” this program is designed to empower you to effectively deal with the risks inherent in life and business. Participants of this Leadership Course discover that real leadership never means just a position, a title, time, money, influence, or any of the traits typically “required” to be a leader or produce the results of a leader. Instead of more knowledge about leadership, you are left with a greater capacity to lead — to lead naturally and effectively, no matter what the situation, in all facets of your life. The outcome: breakthroughs in your leadership performance that will last a lifetime.
Being a Leader & the Effective Exercise of Leadership starts with a comprehensive reading and writing assignment followed by six days of in-person sessions over the course of three months. At the outset, you will create a Leadership Initiative designed to make a decisive contribution to something that really matters to you. Your Initiative will serve as a real-time laboratory for applying the principles of the program. You will have practice work and a 90-minute webinar between each of our in-person sessions.
You will leave this program being a leader and exercising leadership effectively as your natural self-expression in any situation and no matter what the circumstances.
What the participants say about Being a Leader & the Effective Exercise of Leadership
“I tell my friends that it is the best leadership course or program I have ever been a part of.”
Interested? Here’s what to do next.
If you would like to explore the possibility of participating in Being a Leader & the Effective Exercise of Leadership, complete the form with something about you and what you would like to get out of your participation in the program. So that you can make a fully informed choice, we will set up an interview with you to discover if Being a Leader will provide what you are looking for.
Marin County, California
All sessions will be in person from
10:00 am - 6:00 pm on course Wednesdays,
9:00 am - 6:00 pm on course Thursdays.
To bring the program into your organization, complete the form above and we'll contact you.
Reading Assignment: About 10 hours of reading and experimentation; must be completed prior to Session 1.
|Session 1||October 16, 17||Wednesday, Thursday|
|Session 2||November 6, 7||Wednesday, Thursday|
|Session 3||December 11, 12*||Wednesday, Thursday|
* Graduation and Celebration Dinner, from 6:30pm - 8:30pm, after the session on the final day of the course.
Note on Tuition
The support of your organization is a prerequisite for participation. Your tuition must be paid by your employer – no personal checks will be accepted – and it must be paid prior to the first in-person session. Tuition includes six in-person sessions, two 90-minute webinars, mentoring/coaching and all program materials.
Program content and our unique method
Traditional Methods of Teaching
The method employed in this Leadership Course contrasts with the traditional methods of teaching leadership in which students are provided with the opportunity to learn the characteristics, styles, and practices of noteworthy leaders as these have been observed, described, interpreted, and explained “from the stands”. (To put this more formally, the traditional method of teaching leadership deals with leader and leadership conceptually from a third-person perspective which is an epistemological / theoretical model.) In the traditional method, students are presented with knowledge about leader and leadership and are expected to remember and figure out how to apply such knowledge in each leadership situation. (Note: we will often characterize the contrast between these two methods simply as “leader and leadership on the court” versus “leader and leadership from the stands”.)
The Unique Method Employed in This Course
The method utilized in the Leadership Course provides participants with the opportunity to master:
1) being a leader, and the effective exercise of leadership,
2) as these are actually lived and personally experienced “on the court”.
(In formal terms this is a first-person, real-time, ontological/phenomenological model.)
Leadership Course Content
The content in each of the three parts of the Being A Leader And The Effective Exercise Of Leadership Course is not presented merely as ideas to be understood and mastered. Rather, participants work to master certain powerful contexts that shape and color the way in which the circumstances one confronts in leadership situations occur or show up, and how one occurs for oneself in such situations. When mastered, these contexts for leader and leadership result in the circumstances of any leadership situation, and oneself in such situations, occurring or showing up, so that one’s naturally correlated way of being and acting is that of being a leader and exercising leadership effectively.
The Four Foundational Elements for Being a Leader and the Effective Exercise of Leadership
- Integrity (in our model, a positive phenomenon): Being whole and complete – achieved by honoring one’s word as we define honoring (creates workability, creates trust).
- Authenticity: Being and acting consistent with who you hold yourself to be for yourself, and who you hold yourself out to be for others (leaves you grounded and able to be straight with others without using force).
- Being Given Being and Action by Something Bigger than Oneself: Source of the serene passion (charisma) required to lead and to develop others as leaders and the source of persistence (joy in the labor of) when the path gets tough.
- Being Cause in the Matter: Being cause in the matter of everything in one’s life as a stand one takes on self and life, and acting from that stand. It is not true that you are the cause of everything in your life,rather this is a place to stand – a place from which to deal with life that you have chosen for yourself. It simply says, “you can count on me (and, I can count on me) to look at and deal with life from the perspective of my being cause in the matter”. In taking this stand you give up the right to assign cause to the circumstances, or to others, or to the waxing and waning of your state of mind – all of which leave you helpless (at the effect of). When you see how this works it will be clear that taking this stand does not prevent you from holding others responsible. By contrast, when you have mastered this aspect of the foundation required for being a leader and exercising leadership effectively, you will experience a state change in effectiveness and power in dealing with the challenges of leadership (not to mention the challenges of life).
Our Contextual Framework
- Distinguishing Leader and Leadership as:
- Linguistic Abstractions: Creates leader and leadership as “realms of possibility”.
- Phenomena: Leader and leadership as experienced, that is, as exercised, or what one observes or is impacted by.
- Domains: The temporal sphere in which leader and leadership function.
- Terms: Leader and leadership as definitions.
The Ontological Constraints that Limit the Effective Exercise of Leadership
- Ontological Perceptual Constraints: That which limits and shapes (distorts) what we perceive of the situations we are dealing with in any leadership situation.
- Ontological Functional Constraints: Automatic stimulus-response behavior that limits one’s way of being and acting in any leadership situation.
(c) 2018 Effective Action Consulting LLC